Engineering is perceived as a very tough and qualitative job by many people. The equations, mathematical calculations, graphical modellings and 3D monitoring of the projects make engineering sound very difficult to comprehend for many people. However, the reality shows something else: engineering is all about imagining, manufacturing and implementing something that has not existed before. Therefore, it is very difficult for most people to understand where engineering takes its roots from, how engineering mentality works and what lays ahead once you are an engineer. Only people with imagination can understand and internalise the engineering perspective. However, the technological needs of the 21st century require all nations to raise more and more engineers. Here are the reasons why.
Developed Nations Need More Engineers for a Sustainable Future
At the digitalization era, it is possible for everyone to develop more skills and enrich their educational background. People do not really attend technical schools, universities or purely academic programmes once they have started their professional life at a corporate company. Instead, it is so easy to find the relevant courses or training at reasonable prices online. These courses can be about engineering, mathematics, statistics or marketing. With the newly developed educational platforms, Digital marketing courses online can be found along with several engineering classes. Attending these online classes and completing them remotely and successfully will enable attendants to gain a formal certificate, proving the validity of the skills acquired. Due to current technological developments, developed nations are facing scarcity in the number of qualified and experienced engineers in the field. Therefore it is crucially important for technology-exporting countries to raise new engineers and include them in the labour market.
Future is Green, So is the Engineering
With the solid and observable impacts of climate change, it is becoming more and more significant to redesign the energy policies from fossil fuel based to renewable resources. The old structures of heavy industry and materials engineering are being replaced with green policies, renewable energies and regular electricity production for the masses. Eradicating the negative impacts of climate change on each country requires a rapid change from the fossil fuel era to clean energy systems. This rapid change can only be achieved by the accurate number of engineers working at the field continuously. Here is a short list of engineer positions which will make the future greener, sustainable and secure for the next generations:
- Environmental Engineer: Creates environmental friendly regulations for the power plant areas. Environmental Impact Assessments and Strategic Environmental Assessments are done by environmental engineers
- Power Systems Engineer: Develops carbon friendly high tech products for the efficient use of renewable energy sources. Designs the products with the lowest cost and impact on the environment
- Wind Power Engineer: Calculates the wind speed and the amount of electricity to be gained from the wind turbines
- Solar Power Engineer: Designs the power plant areas and calculates the amount of electricity that is going to be yielded from the solar panels
- Sustainability Engineer: Conducts life cycle assessments of the products and calculates the sustainability of the projects